Latest Science News -- ScienceDaily
Breaking science news and articles on global warming, extrasolar planets, stem cells, bird flu, autism, nanotechnology, dinosaurs, evolution -- the latest discoveries in astronomy, anthropology, biology, chemistry, climate and environment, computers, engineering, health and medicine, math, physics, psychology, technology, and more -- from the world's leading universities and research organizations.
Synthetic version of heparin created for use in kidney patients
Feb 24th 2014, 02:51
Researchers at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (UNC) have created a synthetic form of low-molecular-weight heparin that can be reversed in cases of overdose and would be safer for patients with poor kidney function.
"We took this drug and not only made it cost effectively, but we've also improved the properties of the drug," said Robert Linhardt, the Ann and John H. Broadbent Jr. '59 Senior Constellation Professor of Biocatalysis and Metabolic Engineering, a member of the Rensselaer Center for Biotechnology and Interdisciplinary Studies (CBIS), and one of the inventors of the new drug. "The synthetic version that we've made is reversible, it can be used in renal patients, and it doesn't come from animals, which is a critical advance in safety."
Heparin is an anticoagulant, and is most commonly extracted from pig intestines in two forms: unfractionated heparin, which is commonly used in procedures such as dialysis, and a more-refined low-molecular-weight (LMW) heparin, which is used around the world for preventing dangerous blood clots. A team led by Linhardt and Jian Liu, a professor in the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy, created a synthetic version of LMW heparin for which there is an existing antidote. Their creation is described in an article published online February 23 in the journal Nature Chemical Biology.
Linhardt and Liu used a chemo-enzymatic process to synthesize the drug, an approach they developed in research on a simpler anticoagulant drug published in Science in October 2011. Synthesizing LMW heparin allowed them to make many improvements on the animal-derived form of the drug currently available. Linhardt's research supports the Rensselaer School of Science interdisciplinary theme of biomedical science and applications, and is part of a research focus on biocatalysis and metabolic engineering within CBIS. His research on LMW heparin was funded by the National Institutes of Health.
Up to 5 percent of patients receiving heparin experience some form of uncontrolled bleeding. Patients receiving unfractionated heparin are in less danger because there is an existing Federal Drug Administration-approved antidote (protamine) available. Protamine is not as effective in reversing naturally derived LMW heparin, so Linhardt and Liu engineered their drug's molecular structure so that protamine is able to deactivate it.
Naturally produced LMW heparin is cleared from the body by the kidneys, which can make it unsuitable for patients with a weakened renal system, a relatively common condition among patients requiring anticoagulation. Linhardt and Liu made additional changes allowing their drug to bind to receptors that clear it through the liver.
LMW heparin makes up more than half the U.S. market for heparin. Linhardt and Liu said the new version they created is a safe, economically viable alternative to the existing animal-derived supply. But the new drug would require FDA approval, and would probably also undergo alteration on the path to market.
"This is a discovery target. The process that we've used to make it is clearly capable of making the final product. But drug developers would probably want to change some details," Linhardt said. "We've advanced the method to make this drug. Now it's a question of looking at exactly what the new drug would be."
Heparin has been in use since the late 1930s. There are three main types of heparin: unfractionated heparin, the more highly processed low molecular weight heparin, and fondaparinux, a wholly synthetic ultra-low molecular weight heparin.
Heparin prevents blood clots from forming and is most often used during and after such procedures as kidney dialysis, heart bypass surgery, stent implantation, and knee and hip replacement. Its side effects can include uncontrolled bleeding and thrombocytopenia (too few platelets in the blood). The worldwide sales of heparin are estimated at $4 billion annually.
The natural form of the drug was in the spotlight in spring 2008 when more than 80 people died and hundreds of others suffered adverse reactions to it, leading to recalls of heparin in countries around the world. Authorities linked the problems to a contaminant in raw natural heparin from China.
"Whenever you mix the food chain and the drug chain together, you end up with potential for disaster. Whether it comes from contamination, adulteration, impurities like viruses or prions -- any of those possibilities are much more likely when you make something in an uncontrolled environment," said Linhardt. "This is a drug that millions of people rely upon, and it's important to develop a safe, synthetic alternative to the current supply chain."
This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service — if this is your content and you're reading it on someone else's site, please read the FAQ at fivefilters.org/content-only/faq.php#publishers.
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at https://blogtrottr.com
If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe here:
- Solidot: 政治倾向由生理决定，而非理智
- Solidot: 魁北克省要求店主将Facebook页面内容翻译成法语
- Solidot: 科学出版商移除一百多篇机器生成的假论文
- Solidot: 英国政府提出新规定允许“三亲胚胎”
- Solidot: 波音Black手机的更多细节公开
- Solidot: MtGox申请破产保护
- Solidot: Debian移植到OpenRISC架构
- Solidot: 2014年Gnome亚洲峰会定在北京举行
- Solidot: 用LED路灯提供移动服务
- Solidot: 印度空间研究组织公布载人太空船原型
- Solidot: 华纳兄弟将制作《Minecraft》电影
- Solidot: Tor正在开发匿名即时聊天工具
- Solidot: ArnoldC：出自施瓦辛格电影的编程语言
- Solidot: 明报前总编被砍引发新闻自由的担忧
- Solidot: MtGox关闭后火币网交易量暴增
- Solidot: GCHQ拦截雅虎用户的视频聊天，发现许多人裸聊
- Solidot: 中国成立网络安全最高委员会
- Solidot: 中国科学家认为短距离水下量子通信是可能的
- Solidot: 美国儿童正在变瘦
- Solidot: 美国一参议员呼吁封杀比特币
- Solidot: Opera迎来丰收的一年
- Solidot: Chris Anderson的开源无人机王国
- Solidot: 中国科学家成功去除猴子的特定基因
- Confirm your unsubscription from '网易数码频道：相机资讯'
- Solidot: GitHub公开文本编辑器Atom
- Solidot: 上海禁止早晚高峰使用打车软件
- Solidot: P2P僵尸网络
- Solidot: 波音为政府研发具有自毁功能的Android手机
- Solidot: 两款Ubuntu手机原型亮相MWC
- Solidot: 亚马逊的甜言蜜语
- Solidot: 确认的太阳系外行星数量增至1700颗
- Solidot: 三星Tizen OS：没有Android应用的Android克隆
- Solidot: Google被勒令移除反穆斯林视频
- Solidot: 用基于WebGL的BabylonJS把3D扫描模型分享给小伙伴
- Solidot: GreatFire.org合作新闻网站被屏蔽
- Solidot: 依靠IDE让你变成一位差劲的程序员？
- Solidot: 骆家辉：中国未来美好，需要尊重法治和保障人权
- Solidot: 暴雪证实计划向玩家出售60美元的90级角色升级商品
- Solidot: 中国智能电网投入超过美国
- Solidot: Android木马利用Tor隐藏指令服务器位置
- Solidot: Wolfram演示Wolfram语言
- Solidot: 传记作者曝光Julian Assange的秘密生活
- Solidot: 诺基亚XL：大屏大抱负
- Solidot: Servo：Mozilla试图重新发明浏览器
- Solidot: 朝鲜叛逃者用气球反击平壤
- Solidot: 防监听手机Blackphone的更多细节
- Solidot: Twitter用户剧透《壮志凌云》，派拉蒙发出DMCA通知
- Solidot: MtGox收到美国传票，日本着手调查
- Solidot: 评估报告称国际热核聚变实验堆存在严重管理问题
- Solidot: Portal 2 Beta for Linux版发布
- Solidot: 苹果督促亚利桑那州州长否决反同性恋法案
- Solidot: 世卫组织警告北京空气污染，气象局呼吁民众hold住
- Solidot: 福特车载信息系统用QNX替代Windows
- Solidot: 科学家用鱼线创造人造肌肉
- Solidot: 安全研究员开发出能绕过微软EMET的攻击代码
- Solidot: 新西兰因计算机系统问题向错误的司机开出2万罚单法
- Solidot: 新浪微博用户增长速度创下新低
- Solidot: Pony僵尸网络从感染者机器上窃走了价值22万美元的数字货币
- Solidot: 巴西和欧洲宣布铺设绕过美国的海底光缆
- Solidot: 三星发布Galaxy S5——防水版Galaxy S4
- Solidot: MtGox关闭交易，关闭网站
- Solidot: 用大数据监控分析员工行为
- Solidot: PLoS要求论文作者公开数据
- Solidot: 市场因素迫使污染大户钢厂倒闭
- Solidot: 中国扩增新闻道德委员会
- Solidot: LinkedIn发布中文版，取名领英
- Solidot: Google将发布新版Google地图
- Solidot: 月球遭遇有记录以来最明亮的小行星撞击
- Confirm your unsubscription from 'Latest Science N...
- Solidot: 报告称95%的野鸡大学文凭授予了中国人
- Solidot: 哈佛超算集群被劫持挖掘狗币
- Solidot: 数字电影能保存100年吗？
- Latest Science News -- ScienceDaily: Synthetic ver...
- Latest Science News -- ScienceDaily: United Kingdo...
- Latest Science News -- ScienceDaily: New insights ...
- Solidot: 成人电影工作室用数字技术移除安全套
- Solidot: 神经学研究发现，程序语言确实像外语
- Solidot: 诺基亚公布三款Android手机
- Solidot: 腾讯金山等宣布向XP提供技术支持
- Confirm your unsubscription from '网易数码频道：家电资讯'
- Solidot: 微软证实Windows 8.1下一次更新将以非触摸设备为重心
- Solidot: 地球上最古老的岩石在澳大利亚
- Solidot: 香港首家比特币零售店周五开放
- Solidot: WhatsApp创始人用不可改签的机票向Facebook施压
- Solidot: NSA不再监听总理而去监听德国部长
- Solidot: 为什么专利和版权在中国难以实施？
- Solidot: gotofail：苹果 SSL/TLS 重大安全漏洞的细节
- Solidot: NASA公布宇航员拍摄的朝鲜夜晚照片
- Solidot: 中国律师要求公安部公布监控信息
- Solidot: Mozilla计划向新兴市场发布25美元智能手机
- Solidot: 高频交易员开始使用激光通信
- Solidot: 三星的智能手表运行Tizen
- Solidot: Stack Overflow公布用户调查结果
- Solidot: Chrome 33新变化引发用户强烈抗议
- Solidot: Bruce Schneier建议解散NSA
- Latest Science News -- ScienceDaily: Seed-filled b...
- Latest Science News -- ScienceDaily: Revolutionary...
- Latest Science News -- ScienceDaily: Is a 'buttery...
- Confirm your unsubscription from '网易科技频道IT业界新闻'
- Solidot: 数学模型预测革命
- ▼ 二月 (840)
- ► 2013 (16909)