Latest Science News -- ScienceDaily
Breaking science news and articles on global warming, extrasolar planets, stem cells, bird flu, autism, nanotechnology, dinosaurs, evolution -- the latest discoveries in astronomy, anthropology, biology, chemistry, climate and environment, computers, engineering, health and medicine, math, physics, psychology, technology, and more -- from the world's leading universities and research organizations.
Avian flu variant stalks Egypt
Feb 7th 2014, 14:40
Since its first identification in Asia, highly pathogenic avian influenza -- H5N1 -- has caused significant alarm in the scientific community. While the virus' primary target is birds -- tens of millions have already died from it -- it is capable of infecting mammals, including humans, causing serious illness and a frightening rate of mortality.
In a new study, Matthew Scotch, a researcher at Arizona State University's Biodesign Institute, tracks the spread of an H5N1 variant in Egypt -- a country recently identified as a major epicenter for the virus. In results recently appearing in the journal BMC Genomics, Scotch tracks the spread of H5N1 cases using a technique known as phylogeography.
The authors hope that studies of this kind will significantly enhance efforts by public health officials to identify viral outbreaks, limit their spread, coordinate vaccination efforts, reduce mortality and better inform the public of risks.
"Egypt represents an epicenter for H5N1 and there are new variants that have emerged since it was first discovered there in 2006, "Scotch says. "We used phylogeography and influenza genome sequences to model diffusion and evolution of the virus."
Phylogeography was born out of the fields of biogeography and phylogenetics or molecular evolution. By combining viral sequence data and geographical information over time, as well as evaluating features associated with viral carriers, researchers can better understand how viruses spread across a landscape through animal and human populations.
Phylogeography has already been established as a powerful technique for investigating viral dispersal for human diseases, including dengue fever, rabies, influenza and HIV. Recent application of phylogeographic methods to the study of avian influenza promises to significantly improve fine-grained mapping of viral origin and spread.
Avian flu H5N1 is a form of influenza A -- an RNA virus -- first identified in Hong Kong in 1997. The initial cases of H5N1 were apparently not transmitted efficiently among birds. In 2002 however, new isolates of H5N1 appeared, causing acute disease in ducks, resulting in neurological dysfunction and death.
Infected birds transmit H5N1 to one another through nasal secretions, saliva, feces and blood. Other animals, including humans, may become infected with the virus through direct contact with avian bodily fluids or through contaminated surfaces.
Human cases of H5N1 often result from contact with infected poultry, particularly in live bird markets and farms, which are believed to be major reservoirs for the virus. Avian H5N1 however, is also carried by migratory species of birds, which further spread H5N1 to other parts of the world.
In 2004, researchers discovered that H5N1 is a more potent pathogen than originally assumed, attacking waterfowl, chickens, crows, pigeons and ducks, as well as mammals, yielding a high mortality rate. Avian flu is now considered a significant global health threat, with the very real prospect of an international pandemic, causing widespread fatality.
Indeed, the mortality rate in humans contracting H5N1 has been estimated to be around 60 percent, making it more lethal for infected individuals than Spanish influenza -- a genetically similar strain that killed 50-100 million people worldwide during the pandemic of 1918.
Currently, H5N1 is not highly transmissible to humans from birds and has a very low rate of human-to-human transmission, (though around a half dozen cases have been reported). Should a small number of mutations render H5N1 more easily transmissible among humans, the conditions for a deadly pandemic will have been met.
In addition to mutations, mixed forms of influenza virus -- known as reassortant strains -- can occur when a single individual is infected with two versions of a given virus and they exchange genes. An H5N1 reassortant could render avian influenza readily transmissible between human hosts.
In the new study, a particular variant of H5N1, labeled 126.96.36.199, was observed in Egypt. There, avian flu has already killed thousands of birds and caused 173 human cases, of which 63 have been fatal as of December 10th, 2013, according to the World Health Organization. These are the highest case numbers for H5N1 outside of Asia. As in the case of Asian H5N1, experts associate most human infections in Egypt with exposure to diseased poultry, particularly at live bird markets.
In their attempts to identify the origin and spread of the virus in Egypt, researchers made use of a new software platform created by Professor Scotch. Known as ZooPhy, the program enables the phylogeographic analysis of H5N1 spread.
The avian influenza virus H5N1 takes its name from two kinds of spikes adorning the viral surface, hemagglutinin (HA) and neuraminidase (NA). Influenza viruses of Type A or Type B use hemagglutinin to attach to cell surface receptors, allowing viral infection of the cell. Neuraminidase later acts to remove these receptors from infected cells, allowing newly synthesized viruses particles to escape and infect other cells.
(There are 17 different types of hemagglutinin, from H1 to H17 and nine different types of neuraminidase, from N1 to N9 among influenza A viruses. Each virus has one type of H (such as H5) and one type of N (such as N1).)
Through the analysis of 226 HA and 92 NA sequences, Scotch and his colleagues used a phylogeographic approach to trace the preponderance and transmission routes of H5N1 in Egypt. Phylogeography is a particularly fruitful approach for animal-to-human (or zoonotic) RNA viruses, due to short genomic sequences and rapid rates of evolution.
The group's findings revealed a geographic spread of the 188.8.131.52 viral form of H5N1 across Egypt's four primary areas: Cairo, Nile Delta, Canal and Upper Egypt. Statistical analysis suggests the northern governorate of Ash Sharqiyah as the point of origin for the spread of H5N1, however, the mathematical association is too weak to claim certainty. Analysis also implied that the strongest transmission routes for H5N1 were from Ash Sharqiyah to Al Gharbiyah and Al Fayyum to Al Qalyubiyah.
Most of the identified routes of transmission appeared in the densely populated Delta region of Egypt. The Al Qalybiyah governate in particular appears to be a popular area for viral transition, though dispersion to and from this region remains uncertain, requiring further research. The study also noted considerable viral diversity over a limited time frame -- perhaps an evasive response to a country-wide poultry vaccination program.
"This has significant public health implications for the rest of the world," Scotch says. "It is important to focus on variant clades in order to better understand how this virus has evolved and which governorates are propograting its spread."
The authors are further developing the ZooPhy software's graphical interface. The tool requires no specialized knowledge of phylogeography or bioinformatics, making it convenient for field use by public health officials. By zeroing in on trade routes, migration patterns and highways of viral transmission, health authorities can conserve limited resources, applying them where they can be most effective.
This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service — if this is your content and you're reading it on someone else's site, please read the FAQ at fivefilters.org/content-only/faq.php#publishers.
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at https://blogtrottr.com
If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe here:
- Solidot: 政治倾向由生理决定，而非理智
- Solidot: 魁北克省要求店主将Facebook页面内容翻译成法语
- Solidot: 科学出版商移除一百多篇机器生成的假论文
- Solidot: 英国政府提出新规定允许“三亲胚胎”
- Solidot: 波音Black手机的更多细节公开
- Solidot: MtGox申请破产保护
- Solidot: Debian移植到OpenRISC架构
- Solidot: 2014年Gnome亚洲峰会定在北京举行
- Solidot: 用LED路灯提供移动服务
- Solidot: 印度空间研究组织公布载人太空船原型
- Solidot: 华纳兄弟将制作《Minecraft》电影
- Solidot: Tor正在开发匿名即时聊天工具
- Solidot: ArnoldC：出自施瓦辛格电影的编程语言
- Solidot: 明报前总编被砍引发新闻自由的担忧
- Solidot: MtGox关闭后火币网交易量暴增
- Solidot: GCHQ拦截雅虎用户的视频聊天，发现许多人裸聊
- Solidot: 中国成立网络安全最高委员会
- Solidot: 中国科学家认为短距离水下量子通信是可能的
- Solidot: 美国儿童正在变瘦
- Solidot: 美国一参议员呼吁封杀比特币
- Solidot: Opera迎来丰收的一年
- Solidot: Chris Anderson的开源无人机王国
- Solidot: 中国科学家成功去除猴子的特定基因
- Confirm your unsubscription from '网易数码频道：相机资讯'
- Solidot: GitHub公开文本编辑器Atom
- Solidot: 上海禁止早晚高峰使用打车软件
- Solidot: P2P僵尸网络
- Solidot: 波音为政府研发具有自毁功能的Android手机
- Solidot: 两款Ubuntu手机原型亮相MWC
- Solidot: 亚马逊的甜言蜜语
- Solidot: 确认的太阳系外行星数量增至1700颗
- Solidot: 三星Tizen OS：没有Android应用的Android克隆
- Solidot: Google被勒令移除反穆斯林视频
- Solidot: 用基于WebGL的BabylonJS把3D扫描模型分享给小伙伴
- Solidot: GreatFire.org合作新闻网站被屏蔽
- Solidot: 依靠IDE让你变成一位差劲的程序员？
- Solidot: 骆家辉：中国未来美好，需要尊重法治和保障人权
- Solidot: 暴雪证实计划向玩家出售60美元的90级角色升级商品
- Solidot: 中国智能电网投入超过美国
- Solidot: Android木马利用Tor隐藏指令服务器位置
- Solidot: Wolfram演示Wolfram语言
- Solidot: 传记作者曝光Julian Assange的秘密生活
- Solidot: 诺基亚XL：大屏大抱负
- Solidot: Servo：Mozilla试图重新发明浏览器
- Solidot: 朝鲜叛逃者用气球反击平壤
- Solidot: 防监听手机Blackphone的更多细节
- Solidot: Twitter用户剧透《壮志凌云》，派拉蒙发出DMCA通知
- Solidot: MtGox收到美国传票，日本着手调查
- Solidot: 评估报告称国际热核聚变实验堆存在严重管理问题
- Solidot: Portal 2 Beta for Linux版发布
- Solidot: 苹果督促亚利桑那州州长否决反同性恋法案
- Solidot: 世卫组织警告北京空气污染，气象局呼吁民众hold住
- Solidot: 福特车载信息系统用QNX替代Windows
- Solidot: 科学家用鱼线创造人造肌肉
- Solidot: 安全研究员开发出能绕过微软EMET的攻击代码
- Solidot: 新西兰因计算机系统问题向错误的司机开出2万罚单法
- Solidot: 新浪微博用户增长速度创下新低
- Solidot: Pony僵尸网络从感染者机器上窃走了价值22万美元的数字货币
- Solidot: 巴西和欧洲宣布铺设绕过美国的海底光缆
- Solidot: 三星发布Galaxy S5——防水版Galaxy S4
- Solidot: MtGox关闭交易，关闭网站
- Solidot: 用大数据监控分析员工行为
- Solidot: PLoS要求论文作者公开数据
- Solidot: 市场因素迫使污染大户钢厂倒闭
- Solidot: 中国扩增新闻道德委员会
- Solidot: LinkedIn发布中文版，取名领英
- Solidot: Google将发布新版Google地图
- Solidot: 月球遭遇有记录以来最明亮的小行星撞击
- Confirm your unsubscription from 'Latest Science N...
- Solidot: 报告称95%的野鸡大学文凭授予了中国人
- Solidot: 哈佛超算集群被劫持挖掘狗币
- Solidot: 数字电影能保存100年吗？
- Latest Science News -- ScienceDaily: Synthetic ver...
- Latest Science News -- ScienceDaily: United Kingdo...
- Latest Science News -- ScienceDaily: New insights ...
- Solidot: 成人电影工作室用数字技术移除安全套
- Solidot: 神经学研究发现，程序语言确实像外语
- Solidot: 诺基亚公布三款Android手机
- Solidot: 腾讯金山等宣布向XP提供技术支持
- Confirm your unsubscription from '网易数码频道：家电资讯'
- Solidot: 微软证实Windows 8.1下一次更新将以非触摸设备为重心
- Solidot: 地球上最古老的岩石在澳大利亚
- Solidot: 香港首家比特币零售店周五开放
- Solidot: WhatsApp创始人用不可改签的机票向Facebook施压
- Solidot: NSA不再监听总理而去监听德国部长
- Solidot: 为什么专利和版权在中国难以实施？
- Solidot: gotofail：苹果 SSL/TLS 重大安全漏洞的细节
- Solidot: NASA公布宇航员拍摄的朝鲜夜晚照片
- Solidot: 中国律师要求公安部公布监控信息
- Solidot: Mozilla计划向新兴市场发布25美元智能手机
- Solidot: 高频交易员开始使用激光通信
- Solidot: 三星的智能手表运行Tizen
- Solidot: Stack Overflow公布用户调查结果
- Solidot: Chrome 33新变化引发用户强烈抗议
- Solidot: Bruce Schneier建议解散NSA
- Latest Science News -- ScienceDaily: Seed-filled b...
- Latest Science News -- ScienceDaily: Revolutionary...
- Latest Science News -- ScienceDaily: Is a 'buttery...
- Confirm your unsubscription from '网易科技频道IT业界新闻'
- Solidot: 数学模型预测革命
- ▼ 二月 (840)
- ► 2013 (16909)