ScienceDaily: Latest Science News
Breaking science news and articles on global warming, extrasolar planets, stem cells, bird flu, autism, nanotechnology, dinosaurs, evolution -- the latest discoveries in astronomy, anthropology, biology, chemistry, climate and environment, computers, engineering, health and medicine, math, physics, psychology, technology, and more -- from the world's leading universities and research organizations.
Alcohol, tobacco, drug use far higher in severely mentally ill
Jan 1st 2014, 21:19
Jan. 1, 2014 — In the largest ever assessment of substance use among people with severe psychiatric illness, researchers at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis and the University of Southern California have found that rates of smoking, drinking and drug use are significantly higher among those who have psychotic disorders than among those in the general population.
The study is published online in the journal JAMA Psychiatry.
The finding is of particular concern because individuals with severe mental illness are more likely to die younger than people without severe psychiatric disorders.
"These patients tend to pass away much younger, with estimates ranging from 12 to 25 years earlier than individuals in the general population," said first author Sarah M. Hartz, MD, PhD, assistant professor of psychiatry at Washington University. "They don't die from drug overdoses or commit suicide -- the kinds of things you might suspect in severe psychiatric illness. They die from heart disease and cancer, problems caused by chronic alcohol and tobacco use."
The study analyzed smoking, drinking and drug use in nearly 20,000 people. That included 9,142 psychiatric patients diagnosed with schizophrenia, bipolar disorder or schizoaffective disorder -- an illness characterized by psychotic symptoms such as hallucinations and delusions, and mood disorders such as depression.
The investigators also assessed nicotine use, heavy drinking, heavy marijuana use and recreational drug use in more than 10,000 healthy people without mental illness.
The researchers found that 30 percent of those with severe psychiatric illness engaged in binge drinking, defined as drinking four servings of alcohol at one time. In comparison, the rate of binge drinking in the general population is 8 percent.
Among those with mental illness, more than 75 percent were regular smokers. This compares with 33 percent of those in the control group who smoked regularly. There were similar findings with heavy marijuana use: 50 percent of people with psychotic disorders used marijuana regularly, versus 18 percent in the general population. Half of those with mental illness also used other illicit drugs, while the rate of recreational drug use in the general population is 12 percent.
"I take care of a lot of patients with severe mental illness, many of whom are sick enough that they are on disability," said Hartz. "And it's always surprising when I encounter a patient who doesn't smoke or hasn't used drugs or had alcohol problems."
Hartz said another striking finding from the study is that once a person develops a psychotic illness, protective factors such as race and gender don't have their typical influence.
Previous research indicates that Hispanics and Asians tend to have lower rates of substance abuse than European Americans. The same is true for women, who tend to smoke, drink and use illicit drugs less often than men.
"We see protective effects in these subpopulations," Hartz explained. "But once a person has a severe mental illness, that seems to trump everything."
That's particularly true, she said, with smoking. During the last few decades, smoking rates have declined in the general population. People over age 50 are much more likely than younger people to have been regular smokers at some point in their lives. For example, about 40 percent of those over 50 used to smoke regularly. Among those under 30, fewer than 20 percent have been regular smokers. But among the mentally ill, the smoking rate is more than 75 percent, regardless of the patient's age.
"With public health efforts, we've effectively cut smoking rates in half in healthy people, but in the severely mentally ill, we haven't made a dent at all," she said.
Until recently, smoking was permitted in most psychiatric hospitals and mental wards. Hartz believes that many psychiatrists decided that their sickest patients had enough problems without having to worry about quitting smoking, too. There also were concerns about potential dangers from using nicotine-replacement therapy, while continuing to smoke since smoking is so prevalent among the mentally ill. Recent studies, however, have found those concerns were overblown.
The question, she said, is whether being more aggressive in trying to curb nicotine, alcohol and substance use in patients with severe psychiatric illness can lengthen their lives. Hartz believes health professionals who treat the mentally ill need to do a better job of trying to get them to stop smoking, drinking and using drugs.
"Some studies have shown that although we psychiatrists know that smoking, drinking and substance use are major problems among the mentally ill, we often don't ask our patients about those things," she said. "We can do better, but we also need to develop new strategies because many interventions to reduce smoking, drinking and drug use that have worked in other patient populations don't seem to be very effective in these psychiatric patients."
Funding for this research comes from the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA), the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) and the National Cancer Institute (NCI) of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), and the American Cancer Society.
NIH grant numbers R01 DA032843, R01 DA025888, U10 AA008401, UL1 RR024992, P01 CA089392, R01 MH085548, R01 MH085542, K08 DA032680-1, Kl2 RR024994, K01 DA025733.
Hartz SM, Pato CN, Medeiros H, Cavazos-Rehg P, Sobell JL, Knowles JA, Bierut LJ, Pato MT and the Genomic Psychiatry Cohort Consortium. JAMA Psychiatry Published online Jan. 1, 2014. doi:10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2013.3276
This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service — if this is your content and you're reading it on someone else's site, please read the FAQ at fivefilters.org/content-only/faq.php#publishers.
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at https://blogtrottr.com
If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe here:
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 配置各不同 三星Galaxy S5型号共有18种
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 搭载骁龙800 三星曝首款Tizen手机官方图
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 低分辨率/联发科CPU HTC低端新机曝光
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 中国概念股周五收盘涨跌互现 360股价破100美元
- Latest Science News -- ScienceDaily: One planet, t...
- Latest Science News -- ScienceDaily: Forensic expe...
- Latest Science News -- ScienceDaily: How neurons c...
- Solidot: 老年人的大脑不迟钝，他们只是需要时间处理信息
- Solidot: 第一家公立大学支持比特币支付学费
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 空中网宣布将收购联众少数股权
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 微信红包或存漏洞：泄露银行卡信息及提现记录
- Solidot: LibreOffice 4.2 发布
- Solidot: 20%的尼安德特人基因组留在现代人类基因中
- Solidot: Debian init系统投票结果是...
- Solidot: 比特币中国恢复人民币存款支付，再次成为最大交易平台
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 打车软件暗藏隐患：诱发危险驾驶 助推黑车生意
- 网易科技频道IT业界新闻: 2013年Android手机占近80% iOS下降至15%
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 大屏之争 酷派大神与小米3对比评测
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 千万像素6英寸八核机 中兴Memo II评测
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 2100万像素？疑似三星Galaxy S5摄像头样张曝光
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 中国概念股周四收盘涨跌互现 奇虎360涨6.8%
- Latest Science News -- ScienceDaily: Cell cycle sp...
- Latest Science News -- ScienceDaily: Nearly everyo...
- Latest Science News -- ScienceDaily: Researchers d...
- Solidot: 英国政府考虑切换到开源办公软件
- Solidot: 真实的绝命毒师游荡在互联网上
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 京东招股书概要：“最后一公里”物流仍是挑战
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: Facebook净利增7.2倍盘前暴涨18%
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 京东股权结构：刘强东持股18.4%
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: IPO文件显示：京东融资及发展史
- Solidot: 3.7万名玩家成为论文的共同作者
- Latest Science News -- ScienceDaily: Dinosaur foss...
- Latest Science News -- ScienceDaily: Blood and lym...
- Latest Science News -- ScienceDaily: Disappearing ...
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 爱立信发布2013年第四季度及全年财报
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 联想CFO：无需为收购摩托罗拉移动在债市融资
- Solidot: 利用盗链建立视频网站的创建者被判入狱半年
- Solidot: Edward Snowden被提名为诺贝尔和平奖候选人
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 除夕微米再升级 借“活动”让社交走向线下
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 沈阳：大量群发短信及内容涉黄赌毒手机可被锁
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 美媒：阿里巴巴并非增长缓慢 马云另有安排
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 联想集团港股早盘大跌7%
- 网易科技频道IT业界新闻: 杨元庆：对moto心仪很久 最后闪婚
- 网易科技频道IT业界新闻: 为何联想只卖了摩托2000个专利
- 网易科技频道IT业界新闻: Moto移动是给刘军的大礼，也是大考验
- Solidot: 联想29亿美元收购摩托罗拉移动，不包括专利
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 巨屏新旗舰 诺基亚Lumia 1820 MWC发布
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 新增2项专利 iPhone相机或支持更换镜头
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: iOS 7.0.5发布 修正国行版网络配置
- 网易科技频道IT业界新闻: 赛门铁克第三财季净利2.83亿美元 同比增长31%
- 网易科技频道IT业界新闻: 快讯：联想29亿美元收购摩托罗拉移动
- Latest Science News -- ScienceDaily: Digital test ...
- Latest Science News -- ScienceDaily: Running may b...
- Latest Science News -- ScienceDaily: Resetting, un...
- Solidot: 美国出口监管迫使Coursera拒绝来自古巴、伊朗、叙利亚和苏丹的学生
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: Evercore调降雅虎目标价和阿里估值
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 盛大游戏成立特别委员会评估私有化要约
- Solidot: 中国富豪买不到Virgin Galactic的近太空旅游机票
- Solidot: 中国开发者推出马克思币
- Solidot: 硅谷企业的自满
- 网易科技频道IT业界新闻: 任天堂前三财季财报：净利润同比下跌30%
- Latest Science News -- ScienceDaily: Tropics are m...
- Latest Science News -- ScienceDaily: New NASA lase...
- Latest Science News -- ScienceDaily: 'Chameleon of...
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 500彩票网宣布与中国移动子公司达成合作
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 国美等获虚拟运营商牌照 将提供专属移动服务
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 苏宁：冲刺中国最大虚拟运营商
- Solidot: 中国禽流感确诊病例达到110例，可能存在有限的人传人能力
- Solidot: 盖茨亲自遴选微软下一任CEO
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 中芯国际2月18日发布第四季度财报
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 美国运营商AT&T公布第四季度财报：同比扭亏
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 伊坎称抛售股票者误读苹果财报
- Solidot: NSA利用手机应用数据挖掘情报
- Solidot: 五大国有银行被迫加息应对余额宝
- 网易科技频道IT业界新闻: 北京购纯电动车者最高补贴10.8万 特斯拉不在列
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 传闻所谓诺基亚安卓手机实为双卡WP8手机
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 富士X-T1发布会真机图赏 3款三防镜头亮相
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 去年Q3全球互联网网速增长29%至3.6Mbps
- 网易科技频道IT业界新闻: 谷歌宣布与眼科保健商VSP Global合作
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 或为最广全幅超广头 佳能11-24mm专利公开
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 双卡双待金属手机 HTC 802d行货售2898
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 松下将于2月7日发布4K微单 售价约2000美元
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 揪出隐形杀手 五招教你消灭家电噪音
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 五彩缤纷迎除夕 绚烂时尚液晶推荐
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 买得起才是硬道理 工薪族购空调首选机型
- 网易科技频道IT业界新闻: 雅虎第四季度运营利润1.74亿美元 同比下滑8%
- 网易科技频道IT业界新闻: IBM拟出售SDN业务报价10亿美元
- 网易科技频道IT业界新闻: 激进投资人伊坎周二再增持5亿美元苹果股票
- 网易科技频道IT业界新闻: 黑莓发布10.2.1版黑莓10系统更新
- 网易科技频道IT业界新闻: 艺电第三财季净亏3.08亿美元 同比扩大
- 网易科技频道IT业界新闻: 传亚马逊年内发布低于300美元的Android游戏机
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 自拍神器节前促销 卡西欧TR350售6399
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 全新升级体验 索尼RX100II相机仅3750
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 2230万像素全画幅 佳能5D3套机21300元
- 网易科技频道IT业界新闻: 苹果首季业绩稍逊预期：iPhone销量创纪录
- Latest Science News -- ScienceDaily: Parenting pla...
- Latest Science News -- ScienceDaily: Study shows v...
- Latest Science News -- ScienceDaily: Measuring wai...
- 科技要闻-新浪科技: 北京电信开通国际双号服务 易信用户可免费体验
- Latest Science News -- ScienceDaily: Don't judge o...
- ▼ 一月 (1236)
- ► 2013 (16909)